2016 Colorado Bicycle Events
By Daniel E DAngelo Esq on April 29, 2016
Colorado is fantastic for those who love to ride. Just like craft beer and skiing, bicycling is ingrained in Colorado’s culture. Now that spring is here and so are longer days, bicyclists are going to be on Colorado roads en masse: from urban streets to mountain switchbacks. Each year, there are dozens, if not hundred, of bicycling events around the state.
It’s no secret that we’re avid cyclists at D’Angelo Law, so we thought we’d share some of the events we’re looking forward this coming spring and summer.
Take a look:
– 5/13 and 5/14 – Primal Colorado Bike Expo – This event is fun for the whole family, and the best part? It’s free. It’s a two-day event full of exhibitions and fun events for everyone. From the hardcore cyclists to the weekend enthusiast – there’s fun to be had at the show. Even better is that Primal is a great local Denver company making some amazing cutting edge bicycle apparel. For more information, follow the link.
– 5/21/16 – McKee Classic Bike Tour – The McKee Classic is a non-competitive ride that will take you through some of the most scenic areas of Larimer County. It’s a go at your own pace ride, so everyone from beginners to seasoned riders are encouraged to participate. Check out site for more info.
– 5/24/2016 – The Boulder Bicycle Swap – This is definitely one not to miss. It’s a chance to swap and exchange parts, bikes, and equipment with other local hobbyists and riders. Take advantage of the opportunity to get new parts and talk to other bicycle enthusiasts and gear heads.
– 6/5/2016 – Subaru Elephant Rock Cycling Festival – This is one of the most popular events in the Rocky Mountain Region, and for good reason. There are tons of trails to ride and it’s a great way to kick off the mountain biking season. After the rides, the event features Colorado’s largest bike expo and an after party that’s sure to be a blast.
– 6/19/16 – Bicycle Tour of Colorado – A yearly event in Colorado, the Tour lasts 7-days and is a fully supported ride. It’s demanding, so if you aren’t a dedicated cyclist who trains regularly for long rides, you may just want to watch! For information on how to sign up and view the maps of the race, check out the website.
– 6/22/16 – Bike to Work Today! – We wrote about this one last year – and is always a favorite event of ours. It’s a Colorado-wide event, but Denver does it big. There are various refreshment stations placed along normal routes – and after work there are tons of gatherings. Find out more about the event and register here.
– 7/23 and 7/24 – Courage Classic Bicycle Tour Benefiting Children’s Hospital Colorado – Riders of all skills levels are welcome to participate in this fun ride. The event sees over 2,000 riders yearly and supports a great cause. If you’re interested in signing up, do so here.
– 8/13/16 – The Red Rocks Century – Another charity ride, for another great cause. The ride benefits Trip for Kids – a nonprofit that connects kids with cycling. It’s a challenging, but scenic, ride with views of many fantastic Front Range landmarks, including Dinosaur Ridge, Red Rocks Park, Bear Creek Canyon, Idledale, Kittredge, Kerr Gulch, and more.
– 9/16-9/18 – Denver Post’s Pedal the Plains – It’s the end of the season tour for riders of all ages, speeds, and skill level. It’s a three-day event that features BBQs, live music, and more! It’s fun for the whole family – so head over to the website to sign up.
This is a TINY sampling of the events around Colorado. A few minutes searching online and you’re bound to see many more events geared around cycling. Don’t know where else to start? Check out your local bicycle shop. Many sponsor their own regular group rides right from their shop. It is a great way to get connected with other riders in your neighborhood, to learn bicycle routes you may not know, to meet your local bicycle shop owners and mechanics, and to just get out and ride.
These events are fun, but remember – you’ve still got to stay safe. Always wear a helmet when you ride and employ defensive riding tactics. A bicycle crash can easily cause you severe injury or even death. Pay attention, follow the rules of the road, and if you need help because you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash caused by another vehicle reach out to D’Angelo Law for help. We ride on a regular basis and know too well the dangers bicyclists face on the roads when cars don’t share the road.
We hope you enjoy safe and great 2016 riding season!